Thursday, March 6, 2014

Writer's Window Thursday - BIG FOOT DOES EXIST


Welcome to writer's window Thursday! Today I have the amusing pleasure of introducing you to lively writer, Simon Okrill. After writing scripts for many years, Simon decided to convert them to novels. His screenplay Bloodbath about an eternal vampire was published last year as Luna Sanguis and Luna Aeturnus, very dark Gothic romance strictly for adults. During 2013, He began to recreate Bigfoot as a teen adventure much like Scooby Doo with more of an adult theme to it. Now his writing world is taking off so watch out for Bigfoot. Get out your binoculars, put on your camo, and let's take a peek in to Phantom Bigfoot's imagination.

Tiffany: What is the title of your book and what message does it convey to readers?
Simon - The title of my book is Phantom Bigfoot Strikes Again.  It teaches kids to respect nature, love animals, and protect them.

Tiffany: Give a short synopsis of your book.
Simon- At the age of 18, Duane Dexter had to use the toilet real bad first thing in the morning. What he discovered in the bathroom made him forget why he was there. Before him stood his father, all 7 feet of him and somewhat hairy to say the least. Duane’s father, Sam explains to his son that it is time to leave him for the forest and pass on the role of Guardian to him. This Duane accepts and soon becomes superhero and animal protector - Phantom Bigfoot. A year later Duane is happy with his lot until his idiot friend, Beau goes missing, apparently abducted by Bigfoot. Geez Louise! Now Duane has to stop the authorities from discovering his big secret - Bigfoot - or The Elders (aliens who altered his DNA to protect the Bigfoot) will strip him of his superpowers and banish him forever from the forest.

Tiffany: Your book sounds like it will keep readers entertained! Why did you write this particular story?
Simon- There’s a lot of me in Duane and Phantom Bigfoot and the story needed telling as perhaps it might stop hunters shooting Bigfoot.

Tiffany: It has been said that writer's will often immortalize real friends and foes in their stories; so be honest are there any characters in your books that are modeled from people in your daily life? 
Simon- Duane is basically me, Tiffany, but sadly I don’t roam the forests of S Wales UK as I’m just too small and can’t fit into a Bigfoot suit. There’s a Bigfoot Babe or two modeled on certain ASMSG  babes, hee.

Tiffany: Your book has a ton of imagination stomping through it. How do you come up with your story lines?
Simon- No idea, well my favorite TV series help - Star Trek, Psych, Scooby Doo and then there’s my weird dreams that sometimes stay with me and give me time to jot them down. Guess I’m one of those who tune
into the cosmosnet and pluck ideas floating around out there.

Tiffany: What was the point you realized that being an author was no longer a dream but a reality?
Simon- When I lost my job for being disabled, I turned to writing as it enabled me to hide in another world of my own creation. Things sort of snow-balled from there.

Tiffany: What advice would you give to aspiring writers?
Simon- Don’t do what I do! Seriously, get known on social media first for at least 6 months before publishing that way you have a fan base.

Tiffany: What warning(s) would you give them?
Simon- Don’t ever give up and never ever reply to a bad review.

Tiffany: What do you enjoy the most about the writing process?
Simon - Losing myself in my worlds and creating a new me where I can be more than I am and save the damsel in distress.

Tiffany: How did you go about getting your book published?
Simon- Published it myself, which after creating my own kindle formatter was a piece of cake. Cake! Where’s the cake? Of course editing and endless proofing came first, getting the right cover made and the perfect title too.

Tiffany:Now for something a little less formal.   If you were given one day to live, what would you do that day?
Simon- Don my Bigfoot costume and frolic with my Bigfoot Babes until I drop.

Tiffany: If you could meet one of your favorite authors, who would it be and why?
Simon- Stephen King, because he inspired me to write and my fave book is Salem’s Lot.

Tiffany: Writer's always have something or someone that inspires them, so who inspires you?  Simon- My muse inspires me now.

Tiffany: Most embarrassing childhood or adult moment?
Simon - On holiday, I climbed a 5 bar gate which collapsed under Bigfoot’s weight, throwing me into a dung heap. With all the aplomb of Phantom Bigfoot I sat in a pub and had a meal covered in cow doodoo!

 

Tiffany:  What’s next for you?
Simon- Next up this Spring is Phantom Bigfoot & The Vampettes from Venus, followed by Phantom Bigfoot & The ….. that’s a secret. After that my alien abduction comedy - Bigelow - will be published hopefully around Xmas.
 
Simon, I have truly enjoyed our interview today. You are such a fun personality and I know readers will love your writing! Good luck on all your future stomping around in the evergreen forests of the writing world! If you would like to know more about Simon and Phantom Bigfoot you can find the bigfoot tracks here...
Info Links:
 
Buy Links:
 
http://amzn.to/IKmss0 uk kindle
http://amzn.to/1ctMZp3 us kindle
 
http://amzn.to/1c41xvI uk paperback
http://amzn.to/1c41ksr us paperback
 


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Loved our little chat Tiffany and thank you so much for braving your encounter with Phantom Bigfoot - how's your sense of smell now?