Thursday, March 27, 2014

Writer's Window Thursday Welcomes Rhonda Patton


Welcome to Writer's Window Thursday! Today we are going to meet children's book author, Rhonda Patton. Rhonda is a stay at home mother of two-  One teenager and one three year old. She feels like her cup overflows taking care of the two of them! She has over 15 books published and is currently taking  online associates courses to get her degree in Graphic Arts. Let's take a peek into this author's vivid imagination.

Tiffany: What is the title of your book and what message does it convey to readers?

Rhonda - “Grayson the BULLY Frog with Ted and Raymond” this book focuses on the feelings of one frog being bullied.  It will help younger children see the pain and stop bullying.

 
Tiffany: Give a short synopsis of your book.

 Rhonda - Grayson bullies Ted. Ted doesn’t like it much.  Ted also gets mad at Raymond for just watching Ted get bullied.

 
Tiffany:Why did you write this particular story?

Rhonda - My daughter and her friend’s get bullied daily where they do not even want to go to the school.  There is a GREAT NEED for these books.

 
Tiffany:Are there any characters in your books that are modeled from people in your daily life?

Rhonda - I was also bullied as a kid.  I have a kind heart and usually the kids that are kind get bullied easier than the ones that are bold.  So the characters are what I had to deal with in my life.

 
Tiffany:How do you come up with your story lines?

Rhonda - REAL life.  I want kids to be able to look at this story and relate to all of them.  I have many books on life. 

 

Tiffany:What was the point you realized that being an author was no longer a dream but a reality?
Rhonda -Three years ago I never would have thought my dream would come true.  It is still an amazing feeling to get another book out there.  My turning point was when I saw my book featured in MOMTASTIC featured by Kristin Davis of “Sex and the City” I cried all day. 

 
Tiffany:What advice would you give to aspiring writers?

Rhonda - If you are putting out a book and it is not selling, you are not trying hard enough.  Keep spreading your work, keep pushing forward, and keep writing.  Your first book may not become HUGE overnight, but it will get there.

 
Tiffany:What warning(s) would you give them?

Rhonda -Do NOT stop because you get ONE bad review.  If you make a mistake, fix them and keep going. 

 
Tiffany:What do you enjoy the most about the writing process?

Rhonda - I love seeing my book come into the little characters.  My husband creates my characters.  He does an excellent job in what I want to present to the kids.  I put the colors into the characters to make them come to life.  And then seeing the kids enjoys the books.

 
Tiffany:How did you go about getting your book published?

Rhonda - I cannot afford a lot so I had to choose create space.  I am self-published but I have had some GREAT reviews and hoping one day an animation show for Ted and Raymond.

 
Tiffany:If you were given one day to live, what would you do that day?

Rhonda -I would work on another book about inspiring someone to fulfill his or her dreams and not wait.  Do not put your dreams in a corner.  If your dreams are to go to Hawaii and you know you do not have the money, then save $5 a week until you can go.  You can do it if you try.

 
Tiffany:If you could meet one of your favorite authors, who would it be and why?

Rhonda - William Joyce.  He inspired me to start my writing again.  He also is very talented and lives in my hometown.

 
Tiffany:Who inspires you?

Rhonda - My kids.  I want the best for them.

 
Tiffany:If you could go back in time, what would you say to your younger self?

Rhonda - Never think that you cannot. You can.

 
Tiffany:What’s next for you? 

Rhonda -I have many stories coming.  I do not want to give away my projects J
 
 
Thank you for sharing with us today Rhonda! I look forward to seeing more of your work soon. If you are interested in learning more about Rhonda's books you can find them here:
 

1 comment:

Paisley Kirkpatrick said...

This is a wonderful blog, Rhonda. I know about never giving up. I 'practiced' writing for 22 years before I got a five book contract offer. I was so shocked to get it on Christmas Eve 2011 at 10:35 pm. that I could barely breathe. I totally agree with you. Never, ever give up on your dreams. Always go for the big ones because small ones may not be as good as those pie in the sky dreams. Always, best of luck.